Congratulations to our 2019-20 academic year scholarship award recipients!
Monica Morrison, University of Pittsburgh
Angelica Yobbi, Chatham University
Leah Ratterman, Gannon University
Alexandria Raymond, Duquesne University
Caitlin Taylor, Thomas Jefferson University
Julia Sablom, Thomas Jefferson University
Reba M. Sebelist Scholarship
Aubrey Boucher, Duquesne University
Alexander Castro, Gwynedd Mercy University
Congratulations to our 2018-19 academic year recipients!
Emily Weinhold, St. Francis University
Marybeth Moscirella, University of Pittsburgh
Laura Otchy, University of Pittsburgh
Madeleine Wirth, University of Pittsburgh
Rebecca Schuck, Thomas Jefferson University
Molly Sullivan, Thomas Jefferson University
Reba M. Sebelist Scholarship
Millicent Hughes, Thomas Jefferson University
Kim Holliday, University of Pittsburgh
POTA Book Award
Emily Weinhold, St. Frances University
Cumulative list of POTA and Sebelist Scholarship Winners, 2008 to present.
Scholarships for 2019-2020 Academic Year
At the Summer meeting, the Board again approved POTA Scholarships to students interested in assuming a leadership role in POTA. Students must write an essay (up to 750 words) describing realistic and creative methods they will contribute while serving as a student leader in POTA. Applicants who submit all materials by the deadline will be considered for one of the eight scholarships listed below. Awardees will receive their scholarship checks in June, prior to the start of the academic year. They receive recognition during their summer/fall local POTA district meetings. Awardees are listed in the Conference Program and announced during the Business Meeting at the Annual POTA Conference.
POTA Board Scholarships
Six $1,000 scholarships are available for the coming academic year. Scholarship recipients are invited to become active members of a POTA Board committee/task force beginning in the summer. Awardees will be invited and encouraged to attend their local POTA district meeting in the summer/early fall to receive their award.
Reba M. Sebelist Scholarships
Two Sebelist Awards ($500 each) are available for the coming academic year. One scholarship will be awarded to an OT student and one scholarship will be awarded to an OTA student. Scholarship recipients are invited, but not required, to become active members of a POTA Board committee/task force in the coming fiscal year and assume a student leadership role. Awardees are invited and encouraged to attend their local POTA district meeting in the spring/summer to receive their award.
POTA confers Book Awards, thanks to the generosity of members who donate funds to support POTA student members preparing to enter the profession. All scholarship applicants are considered for these grants that help to defray the cost of their coursework book purchases.
To apply for a scholarship
Application deadline: April 15, 2019.
- Scholarships are available only to POTA student members who are enrolled full-time in an entry-level occupational therapy education program (either OTA or OTR) located in Pennsylvania. If you matriculate in a Pennsylvania OT education program, and are not yet a POTA member, please join now through our efficient online membership registration, then return to complete your application and submit by the deadline.
- Your Program Director must support your application and verify your cumulative GPA is 3.5 or higher by submitting the "Program Director's Eligibility Form." Once completed, this form should be signed and sent to email@example.com
- Two confidential reference letters are required, at least one coming from a faculty member in your current occupational therapy education program. These letters should come from individuals who have first-hand knowledge of your current leadership ability (recent or current employers, current professors, recent professors/teachers, current mentors). Reference letters should specifically address aspects of your personal character, leadership qualities you possess, your leadership potential and their opinion as to your appropriateness for contributing to the POTA Board and its committees/task forces. These letters should be printed on letterhead, signed and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete application and submit your essay HERE (up to 750 words, describing realistic and creative methods you will contribute while serving as a student leader in POTA).
- Ensure that all materials are submitted by midnight, April 15th.
Applicants are responsible to ensure that Program Director's Eligibility Form and two reference letters are submitted on time. Applicants should advise individuals who submit these materials that they will receive e-mail confirmation following their submission. POTA will not follow up to request missing materials from incomplete applications. The Scholarship Committee will review only those online applications that also include the Program Director's Eligibility Form and two confidential references, all submitted by the April 15th deadline.
(Download and save these instructions)
Scholarships from Occupational Therapy Associations in other states
Check with individual state associations to determine eligibility criteria and application procedures for available awards.
The American Occupational Therapy Foundation Scholarship Program
Scholarships in varying amounts are awarded each academic year for students who apply in the fall semester. Details about eligibility, specific deadlines and online application process are available from the Foundation.
Your Occupational Therapy Education Program
Check with your institution's financial aid office and your Occupational Therapy Department for available awards.